DUCS elects new school board president, announces new school year dates
The Dugger Union Community School Board elected Gina Lovelace as new board president and announced new school year information during its brief July meeting on Monday.
The board announced that the school office will reopen to the public on July 22 for new student enrollment. Enrollment for current students will be on July 29 and open house is scheduled for Aug. 6 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. The first day of school for students will be Aug. 7. Total enrollment for the new school year is currently at 415.
In new business, the board approved the following staff recommendations: Kallie Cox as a front desk employee; Rita Wilson as a bus driver; and Halle Weddle as a bus aide.
Before schools starts, there are a few upgrades in progress. Stairs are currently being constructed and will be installed before the start of the new school year. Some of the work will be roof work, which will begin next week, carpet is currently being installed in three rooms this week and blinds will be installed in five elementary rooms, band room, choir room, resource room and the basic skills/study hall room.
In other business:
• The board tabled a school corporation contribution item pending additional information.
• An athletic trainer has been hired and more information on the hire will be available soon.
• They announced that one bus aide position is in need of being filled.
• A new school app is in the testing phase.
• The board announced that items by the shop are free for the taking.
• The next regular monthly meeting of the school board will be Aug. 5 at 7 p.m. in the school cafeteria.