Sullivan hosts fifth annual Chad Smith Scholarship Invitatitional
The fifth annual Chad Smith Scholarship boys and girls cross country invitational took place on the Ed Chickadaunce Trail at Sullivan on Thursday.
Chad Smith, a 1994 graduate of Sullivan High School and former Sullivan High School and Northview High School teacher and coach, lost his battle with two years ago with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.
A college scholarship established in his name honors Smith’s love and dedication to the sports of cross country and track, while bringing awareness to ALS. Proceeds from this event benefits the Chad Smith Scholarship Fund and a scholarship will be awarded in the spring to a cross country and/or track student athlete. To date, 10 scholarships have been awarded.
“It is hard to believe he has been gone for two years,” said Southwest School Corp. Superintendent Chris Stizle, who coached Smith at SHS and is a former colleage.
“’Chigger’ would have loved this, an event to help students earn scholarships. He was a very special person.”
In the two races, Northview won the boys race with 26 points. West Vigo was second and Sullivan was third.
“We came up short, but the boys were battling Northview and West Vigo,” said Sullivan cross country coach Samantha Unger. “This is a big improvement over last year. I think we finished sixth place in 2017.
“Our goal was to have five boys run under 20 minutes. Our fifth runner today finished at 20:02.”
This was the first competition of the season for North Central, who finished 10th.
“I was really pleased with the way the boys ran,” said North Central coach Jeff Ransford. “Zack had a pretty good race and Gavyn Dukes ran really well for a freshmen. He is one of several runners trying to make the adjustment in distance at the high level. I thought James and Will Roberts and Adam Walker all ran well for our first meet.”
Both North Central and Sullivan did not have the required five runners to compile a team score in the girls event.
Sullivan’s Shelby Hall was 26th overall with a time of 26 minutes and nine seconds.
Freshman Josie Gettinger was 29th.
“Shelby is our No. 1 runner at the beginning of the year,” said Unger. “I thought Josie ran well as did Sydney (McCammon). Rachel (Donaldson) is still not 100 percent, but she finished.”
For North Central, Haley McCombs was 44th with a tme of 27:49.
“Haley ran well,” said Ransford. “I look for her to continue to get better as the season moves forward.
“Raygann is new to the program and Aleasha is still working on getting healthy.”
Sullivan junior Riley Smith broke the Sullivan course record with a time of 18:16, finishing fifth.
Dossan Lamb also broke the old mark, finishing seventh overall at 18:39.
“I was running faster than I thought,” said Smith. “I just ran with the two kids from Northview, letting them pace me.
“This is the first time that I’ve ever been happy after running on this course.”
Smith said he did not know Chad Smith, but knows of his reputation, which includes being the only SHS cross country runner to compete at the state finals and earning a scholarship to run at the University of Southern Indiana.
“I only knew of Chad by reputation,” said Riley. “It is sad he is gone so early, but it is great to be able to participate in this event, which means so much to so many people.”
Unger added that Chad set the bar very high and they strive to get better and that they represent Chad as well as Sullivan High School.
Both North Central and Sullivan will compete at the Riverton Parke Invitational on Saturday.
Chad Smith Scholarship Invitational
1. Northview, 26; 2. West Vigo, 61; 3. Sullivan, 64; 4. Owen Valley, 114; 5. Vincennes Lincoln, 117; 6. Hutsonville-Palestine, 210; 7. North Knox, 212; 8. North Daviess, 219; 9. Paris, 221; 10. North Central, 221.
5. Riley Smith, 18:16; 7. Dossan Lamb, 18:39; 13. Preston Anthony, 19:27; 18. Grant Alexander, 19:46; 21. Will King, 20:02; 39. Tim Lueking, 21:34; 40. Cole Migliorini, 21:35; Walker Brocksmith, 21:45; Dalton Rasmussen, 34:31.
North Central results
20. Zack Weir, 19.58; 43. Gavyn Dukes, 22:38; 46. James Roberts, 22:57; 53. Adam Walker, 23:26; 59. Will Roberts, 24:58; 67. Brandon Lee, 31:50; 68. Wyatt Harris, 31.54.
1. Owen Valley, 40; 2. Northview, 57; 3. West Vigo, 78; 4. North Daviess, 81; 5. Paris, 129; 6. Vincennes Lincoln, 141; 7. North Knox, 154; 8. North Vermillion, 223; 9. (tie) North Central, Sullivan, incomplete teams.
26. Shelby Hall (S), 26:09; 29. Josie Gettinger (S), 26:23; 38. Sydney McCammon (S). 27:15; 44. Haley McCombs (N), 27:49; 70. Emily Edwards (N), 33:56; 71. Raygann Richards (N). 34:02; 73. Aleasha Weir (N), 35:27; 74. Rachel Donaldson (S), 35:30.